Rather than adding capacity to their existing Frame Relay network, managers wanted to migrate to a less complex IP-based MPLS system.
A steady increase in WAN data traffic drove the need to boost bandwidth. Rather than adding capacity to their existing Frame Relay network, managers wanted to migrate to a less complex IP-based MPLS system.
Graybar's IT managers chose to transfer 184 Frame Relay MPLS circuits over to the CenturyLink IQ Private Port service. These included circuits that link the company's St. Louis and Kansas City data centers. Internet service is provided to each data center via the CenturyLink IQ Internet Port service and then distributed to users across the firm's WAN. Additionally, managers chose to migrate 350 toll-free services over to the Toll Free Network. To round out the solution, 5,800 long distance circuit accounts were transferred onto the CenturyLink Long Distance service.
Benefits and Results
- Reduced communications expenses by 24 percent overall Doubled MPLS and Internet circuit bandwidth and increased inter-data center capacity six fold
- Switch to IP-based network reduced network complexity and expense:
- Eliminated ATM switches that were scheduled for replacement and ongoing maintenance costs
- Eliminated dedicated disaster recovery circuit between data centers
- Increased WAN network performance:
- Reduced branch office latency by 50 percent
- Implemented quality of service to prioritize data traffic
- Enhanced the user experience with WAN-based enterprise applications
- Faster, near real-time data backup shortened data recovery point
Revenues of $4.4 billion in 2009 place employee-owned Graybar Electric Company, Inc. (Graybar) among Fortune 500 enterprises. Its primary business is the distribution of electrical, communications and data networking products. Graybar also provides related supply chain management and logistics services through a network of nearly 240 distribution facilities in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico. Graybar serviced more than one hundred thousand customers in 2009, while providing products and solutions from thousands of manufacturers.
- Not available
Connect with CenturyLink
We're here to help!
- Contact Us