Basic DIRECTV troubleshooting help
While we don't install or repair DIRECTV® System equipment, if you're searching our site for help, we want to provide resources that get you answers to your questions.
Getting to know your DVR
Making technology work -- even when it's not broken -- can sometimes be a challenge. If you're struggling to make your DVR do what you want it to do, use these links to get to know it better:
- How do I use the on-screen guide?
- Can I set my DVR to record a show that's already started?
- Can I cancel a scheduled DVR recording online?
- How do I know when the DVR is getting full?
- How do I program my DIRECTV Universal Remote Control?
- How do I order Pay Per View movies?
- How do I find episode details and parental ratings for TV shows?
These topics are a little more advanced and pertain to systems using an HD DVR:
- Do I need additional equipment to connect more than one TV to my HD DVR?
- How do I record programs from a TV other than the one connected to my HD DVR?
- How can I increase the recording capacity of my standard DVR or HD DVR?
- How do I know if my HD DVR receiver is connected to the Internet?
Taking care of technical issues
Technical difficulties can make you wish for simpler times. Fortunately, even though things may seem bleak, a lot of problems can be fixed easily and quickly. These links take you to solutions for the most common, headache-causing problems:
- How do I reset my receiver?
- How do I access my receiver's on-screen help menu?
- My receiver won't turn on. What should I do?
- My remote only controls the receiver. How do I fix it?
- I'm not getting any sound at all, or the sound is badly distorted.
- The picture and sound aren't synced correctly.
- I get an error message when I try to stream a movie or a show.
You can visit the DIRECTV Technical Forum to see if other customers have experienced a problem similar to yours and/or if someone there has a recommendation for your unique situation.
Your owner's manual is another good source of helpful information. If you've misplaced yours, no problem. You can find links to all the DIRECTV equipment manuals -- organized and in one place -- on the DIRECTV website.
Tip: If you're seeing a big, blue error message on your TV screen, check out these video tutorials that explain the code and what you need to do to fix it.
Enjoying the benefits of mobile technology
If you've joined the ranks of the mobile-enabled masses, you might be wondering how you can watch your favorite shows on your phone or stream movies to your tablet. Start here to get connected:
- What do I need to watch movies and shows on my laptop, tablet or phone?
- Can I stream TV channels on my laptop or mobile device outside my home?
- Will I be charged for data if I stream live TV channels on my tablet or mobile device?
- I'm at home but can't download recorded programs to my mobile device. What can I do?
- How do I set my DVR from my phone with the DIRECTV Phone App?
- My DIRECTV Phone App keeps crashing. What should I do?
- I get an error message when I try to launch the DIRECTV Phone App. What should I do?
- When I use my phone, how can I tell which receiver I'm programming?
- How do I use my tablet as a remote control?
- I can't sign in to the DIRECTV Tablet App. What should I do?
- I'm no longer able to stream movies and shows on my iPad. Why?
- I'm not hearing any sound when I watch live TV on my iPad? What's the problem?
If you're still experiencing problems and want to speak with someone about what's happening, contact DIRECTV.