Got DIRECTV programming questions?
DIRECTV programming packages come in small, medium and large sizes. Ranging from 130 to 285+ channels, they offer lots of entertainment possibilities and typically generate more than a few questions.
Local channels? Got 'em.
For most people in most markets, getting your local channels is a nonissue. They simply come with your DIRECTV package. If you're moving and want to confirm that DIRECTV offers your local channels where you plan to live, just change the zip code shown above to your new location and then check for availability.
- Can I receive local channels from another part of the country?
- Does DIRECTV broadcast local Emergency Alert System messages on local channels?
Music channel lineup
DIRECTV programming packages include a certain number of music channels. Music channels play a particular type of music -- holiday, rock, country, blues, rap -- continuously throughout the day.
Sports package ordering
If you're a sports enthusiast, you can enjoy sports programming literally, day and night. Packages include: NFL SUNDAY TICKET, NBA LEAGUE PASS, NHL® CENTER ICE®, MLB EXTRA INNINGSSM, MLS DIRECT KICK™, ESPN GamePlan and ESPN FULL COURT.
If you're a current DIRECTV customer and there's a particular game you want to watch, you can add a sports package to your account, and the package will be available that day.
- How many games will I get with NFL SUNDAY TICKET?
- Does DIRECTV offer the RED ZONE CHANNEL?
- What's included in MLB EXTRA INNINGS?
- Does DIRECTV carry the NHL Network?
Adult programming restrictions
We do not offer access to adult programming. If you're a DIRECTV customer and sign up to receive a single bill from CenturyLink for both your DIRECTV and CenturyLink services, you will no longer be able to get monthly or on-demand adult programming.
HD programming availability
DIRECTV offers more than 195 full-time HD channels. The number of HD channels varies based on the programming package you select. Certain channels are broadcast in both standard definition and high definition. If you subscribe to premium packages that include HBO®, STARZ®, SHOWTIME® or Cinemax®, you get the corresponding HD channels for those channels as part of your subscription.
Did you know?
To get HD, you need an HD-ready television and DIRECTV HD equipment. If DIRECTV offers HD local channels in your area, DIRECTV will install the required equipment.
If you cannot get local channels in HD from DIRECTV, you'll need an off-air antenna to see network (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX) prime-time programming in HD. In cities where local off-air HD programs are available, an off-air antenna is required. Reception may vary based on where you live.
On Demand programming requirements
With DIRECTV on DEMAND, you can access a library of shows and movies whenever you want.
While DIRECTV on DEMAND comes with all the DIRECTV subscriptions, some DIRECTV on Demand content requires:
- HD DVR (HR20 or later) or DVR (R22 or later)
- DIRECTV CINEMA® Connection Kit
- Broadband Internet service (750 kbps or higher)
- Network router with an available Ethernet port
Note: If you don't have these things but still want to watch on-demand programming, call DIRECTV at 1-800-531-5000, and someone will assist you. (Note: There is a $5 charge for operator-assisted orders.)
The easiest way to connect to the Internet is wirelessly using the DIRECTV CINEMA Connection Kit. If you are not able to connect wirelessly to your home Internet network, you will need to schedule a professional installation, and for a fee, a technician will come out and connect your receiver to the Internet.
At first, it might seem like a hassle to connect your HD DVR to the Internet, but it's worth it. When you're connected, you can enjoy movies, TV shows, Pandora radio and even YouTube not only on your TV but also streamed to your phone and/or tablet.* And, since all this content and convenience is included as part of your subscription, you might as well take advantage of it and enjoy the benefit.
- How do I connect my Genie™ or HD DVR to the Internet?
- Video: Connecting to the Internet with the wireless CINEMA Connection Kit (Method 1)
- Video: Connecting to the Internet with the wireless CINEMA Connection Kit (Method 2)
- My HD DVR used to be connected to the Internet, but it isn't now. How do I reconnect it?
Pay Per View programming instructions
If you're a DIRECTV subscriber, you can order Pay Per View (PPV) movies and events through DIRECTV CINEMA. Your options include:
- If you have a land-based phone line connected to your receiver, you can use your remote control to order movies and events.
- If it's convenient, and you feel comfortable navigating the web, you can go online to order.
- Call DIRECTV at 1-800-531-5000 to have someone assist you. (Note: There is a $5 charge for operator-assisted orders.)
Note: PPV movies expire 24-72 hours after you start watching them.
How to make changes
You can change your DIRECTV programming package by logging into your DIRECTV account. (If you have questions, use these step-by-step instructions for making changes to your account.)
In fact, when you log into your account, you can view your statements, pay your bill and even upgrade your service.
If you need assistance with your account, call 1-800-531-5000 to speak with a DIRECTV customer service representative.