If you're in the middle of an important call and don't want to be interrupted by Call Waiting, turn it OFF temporarily. (It will automatically start back up again when you hang up.)
Anyone trying to reach you -- while you're on the phone and Call Waiting is OFF -- will hear a busy signal unless you have voicemail on your account.
Turn it OFF BEFORE you start your call:
- Listen for the dial tone, and press .
- Listen for 3 short tones, then a regular dial tone.
- Dial the number of the person you want to reach.
Turn it OFF DURING your call:
- Press and release the hang-up switch (or FLASH key) to put your call on hold.
- Listen for 3 brief tones and a normal dial tone. Press .
- Press and release the hang-up switch (or FLASH key) again to continue your original call.
Note: In some areas, you can only turn OFF call waiting before placing a call. If you try during a call, you'll hear a rapid-busy signal.