Resale - Private Line Transport (PLT) Digital Service Level 3 (DS3) - V19.0
CenturyLink's retail telecommunications service, Private Line Transport (PLT) Digital Service Level 3 (DS3), is available for resale to your end-users. Additional information about resale of CenturyLink's retail services can be found in Resale-General.
Resale PLT DS3, provides a transmission path between end-user designated premises (end-to-end finished service). PLT DS3 is a point-to-point high capacity private line digital transport service that provides transmission of isochronous serial data at 44.736 Mbps. PLT DS3 is offered at an electrical interface for single DS3 applications. It can be channelized to provide 28 DS1 circuits with the multiplexing ability to enable a platform for voice, video, or data services. In order to qualify for the Resale Discount, the service must be provided to an end-user in a Resale arrangement.
This advanced digital communications solution is designed and deployed to support applications where high bandwidth and fiber optic reliability are necessary. For extremely mission-critical business functions, PLT DS3 is available with Self-Healing Alternate Route Protection (SHARP) options.
Private Line Transport Services are:
- Local Intrastate/Intralata Services
- Provided for the transmission of voice and/or data
- Generally non-switched types of service providing a dedicated voice or data communications path between two or more locations, however, certain voice grade types of "switched" private line service e.g., Foreign Exchange Service, Off-Premise Extension, Telephone Answering Service, have telephone numbers and access to the switched network and use the CLT circuit format to identify the circuit ID instead of the CLS circuit format
- Either analog/voice or digital
- Provided between two or more customer designated premises within the same State and Local Access and Transport Area (LATA) if resold.
- Can extend from a Network Interface (NI) or Point of Termination (POT) to an Interexchange Carrier/Access Customer location (IC-POT) or to an end-user location, can go between two Access customer locations or can extend from a Carrier location in a CenturyLink Central Office to an end-user Customer or Access Customer location in a non-resold arrangement (must be ordered by submitting ASOG forms via ASR).
- Point to Point or Multi-point
Private Line Transport Services are not:
- Wholesale customers purchasing CenturyLink services through Wholesale operations as offered in the filed CenturyLink General Exchange Tariff (GET). For Wholesale customers purchasing CenturyLink services for administrative purposes see the General Exchange Tariff (GET).
- Interstate services and non-resale arrangements. Those product offerings can be found in the IXC Product Catalogs.
Private Line Products Eligible for Resale
Full descriptions of Private Line Services are available in the Exchange and Network Services, and State Private Line Transport Services Tariff and Catalogs located in the Tariff Library.
PLT DS3 is available where facilities exist throughout CenturyLink QC and is subject to availability of Central Office (CO) facilities. Not all COs are equipped with digital equipment. The National Exchange Carrier Association (NECA) Tariff Federal Communications Commission (FCC) 4 lists digital wire centers.
Interstate or Intrastate circuits which:
- Do not connect end user-premises in a Resale arrangement
- Cross State or LATA boundaries
- Are used for more than 10% Interstate traffic
must be ordered at the non-resale discounted rate from the Switched Access Services section of the CenturyLink Operating Companies Tariff F.C.C. No. 11. Requests must be submitted via Access Service Request (ASR) on ASOG forms. Determination of Interstate traffic is defined in the Determination of Jurisdiction and Charges for Mixed Interstate and Intrastate Private Line Transport Service section in the Private Line Transport Services Tariff.
Terms and Conditions
PLT DS3 is available for resale as an end-to-end finished service:
- As long as it is not combined with retail products
- A Design Layout Record (DLR) will not be provided, as CenturyLink will maintain the circuit.
Resale PLT DS3 is not available:
- In Independent Company territories
- If the product or service is grandfathered or obsolete, unless the service is currently existing and is to be converted as is
- If the product or service is being offered as a market trial
- As an end-link or mid-link circuit.
Technical characteristics, including Network Channel and Network Channel Interface (NC/NCI) codes, are specified in:
- Technical Publication, CenturyLink DS3 Service Technical Publication 77324.
- Technical Publication, Self-Healing Alternate Route Protection (SHARP) Technical Publication 77340.
- Technical Publication 77368, Commercial Customer Premises and Carrier Hotels Electronic Equipment Environmental Specifications and Installation Guide
- Technical Publication 77419, Specifications For The Placement Of CenturyLink Equipment In Customer-Owned Outdoor Cabinets
- Telcordia Generic Requirements (GRs)/Technical References (TRs)/Special Reports (SRs)
- American National Standard Institute (ANSI) Publications.
The rate elements/service components applicable to Intrastate Private Line Services may vary based on:
- Type of Private Line Service
- Speed of the circuit
- Options provisioned on the circuit
- State in which the circuit is located
Interstate and non-resold PLT DS3 is generally billed on a month-to-month basis or on a rate plan. Rate plans are described in the state specific or CenturyLink Operating Companies Tariff F.C.C. No. 11 in the Tariffs/Catalogs/Price Lists and may qualify for the resale discount. Contact your CenturyLink Sales Executive for additional billing information.
General pricing structure:
Monthly recurring and non recurring charges apply to the following rate categories:
- Channel Termination (CT) - A communication path between the termination point at the end user-designated premises and the Serving Wire Center (SWC) of that premises. One channel termination charge applies per DS3 terminating at the demarcation point. This charge applies even if the end user-designated premises and the SWC are collocated.
- Transport Mileage (TM) - The interoffice transmission facility between the two SWCs associated with two end-user-designated premises, between the end-user-designed premises and its associated SWC, and between two Company Hubs. TM is portrayed in mileage bands. Mileage is measured by airline mileage between the two wire centers using the V and H coordinates methodology as defined in National Exchange Carrier Association (NECA) FCC 4 tariff. The monthly recurring charge is based on a fixed and a per mile rate.
- Optional Features and Functions - Added features and functions to achieve a specific performance characteristic. An example is Central Office (CO) Multiplexing. Application of charges depends on the type of option/feature being requested.
- Central Office Connecting Channel (COCC) - Connection within the same CenturyLink CO between two DS3s that are not installed as one service.
Depending on the jurisdiction, a one time nonrecurring charge for Service Provisioning may also apply. Service Provisioning carries an initial rate as well as a reduced subsequent rate for identical circuits ordered at the same time, due the same date and for the same service locations.
Usage billing does not apply.
Additional billing elements may apply for miscellaneous service order request items such as:
- Service re-arrangement
- Circuit reconfiguration
- Due date change charge
- Cancellation charge
- Rate plan change.
SHARP requests are:
- Available on a month-to-month basis or on a pricing plan
- Rated with billing elements in addition to those that already apply for the working DS3
Additional rate structure information can be found in Resale General.
Rates and/or applicable discounts are available in Exhibit A or the specific rate sheet in your Interconnection or Resale Agreement.
CenturyLink's retail rates for PLT DS3, less any applicable resale discount, apply to resold PLT DS3. Rates and/or discounts can be found in Exhibit A or the specific rate sheet in your Interconnection or Resale Agreement.
If the circuit is Interstate; or Intrastate but does not connect end-user premises in a Resale arrangement, crosses State or LATA boundaries, or if it is used for more than 10% Interstate traffic, it must be ordered at the non-resale discounted rate from the Switched Access Services section of the CenturyLink Operating Companies Tariff F.C.C. No. 11 or from the State Private Line Transport Services.
Tariffs, Regulations and Policy
Tariffs, regulations and policies are located in the state specific or the CenturyLink Operating Companies Tariff F.C.C. No. 11 located in the Tariffs/Catalogs/Price Lists.
Resale PLT DS3 optional feature availability and pricing will vary according to the state specific or the CenturyLink Operating Companies Tariff F.C.C. No. 11 located in the Tariffs/Catalogs/Price Lists. Optional features include:
- Central Office Multiplexing
SHARP improves the reliability of a DS3 service that is transported over fiber optic facilities. This feature provides a separate facility path for the protection system between the SWC and the CenturyLink Point of Termination (POT) located in the same building as your end-user's premises, when your end-user provides the structure for diverse entrance facilities into the building. If no structure is provided, a diverse path will be provided between the first utility vault outside the SWC and the last terminal prior to your end-user's premises.
The added protection is provided in the form of two physically separate paths and backup electronics. The primary or working path is established between the SWC and the end-user. The second protection path is established between the end-user designated premised and the SWC via a CenturyLink designed Alternate Wire Center (AWC) where available. Should the working path or electronics fail or the service performance becomes impaired, the DS3 service will automatically switch to the protection path to maintain a near continuous flow of information between locations.
The offering contemplates the use of existing facilities. If none exist, it may be necessary to construct new facilities and Special Construction rates may apply. For additional information regarding Special Construction, refer to the Resale General PCAT. Customers who wish to decline CenturyLink-provided racks, cabinets, or backup power and utilize their own must complete the Customer Provided Backup Power, Rack, and Cabinet Acknowledgement form.
SHARP protects the local loop. SHARP Plus extends the protection from the local loop to include the transport channel (interoffice) facility and any supporting electronics when applicable.
NOTE: Effective October 16, 2007, SHARP Plus is grandparented and is no longer available as a new service. For additional information, contact your CenturyLink Service Manager.
|Reliable network connection||
QWB Services are appropriate for many of the high-speed connectivity needs of today's residential and business end-users, including:
- Internet access
- Corporate LAN access
- Desktop videoconferencing
- Computer-Telephony integration
- Distance learning
- Always-on applications
If you are a new CLEC and are ready to do business with CenturyLink, view Getting Started as a Facility-Based CLEC or Getting Started as a Reseller. If you are an existing CLEC wishing to amend your Interconnection Agreement or New Customer Questionnaire, additional information is located in the Interconnection Agreement.
For term pricing plans, please work with your CenturyLink Sales Executive to establish the contract and also obtain a contract identification number. The contract identification number must be noted in the Variable Term Agreement (VTA) field of the LSR form.
General pre-ordering information is located in the Pre-Ordering Overview.
The following functions may need to be performed by you in preparation for the issuance of the local service request:
- Validate Address
- Check Facility Availability
- Validate Connecting Facility Assignment (CFA)
- Check Service Availability
- Review Customer Service Record (CSR)
General ordering activities are identified in the Ordering Overview.
Service interval guidelines are found in the Service Interval Guide (SIG).
Intrastate Resale PLT DS3
NOTE: Intrastate ATM and/or Frame Relay may be ordered via an Access Service Request (ASR) or Local Service Request (LSR) and will be billing we be through billed through the Integrated Access Billing System (IABS) regardless of the order process (ASR or LSR) utilized. Service requests for Intrastate Resale PLT should be placed using Interconnect Mediated Access (IMA) Extensible Markup Language (XML). IMA Graphical User Interface (GUI), or faxed to (888) 796-9089.
Intrastate Resale PLT DS3 service requests are submitted using the following LSOG
- Resale Private Line (RPL)
When ordering PLT DS3 follow the field entry requirements of the Private Line Resale - Non-switched product as described in the LSOG.
For pricing plans, be sure to enter your contract identification number in the VTA field of the LSR form.
The use of Network Channel and Network Channel Interface (NC/NCI) codes on the local service request identifies the service type and some of the related optional features being requested. NC and NCI codes are available in the previously stated list of Technical Publications under Product Description.
Use of Universal Service Order Codes (USOCs) and Field Identifiers (FIDs) are described in the USOCs and FIDs Overview. Use of the USOC/FID Finder will assist you in identifying USOC and FID requirements.
Interstate or Intrastate Non-resold Resale PLT DS3
NOTE: LSRs issued requesting Interstate or Intrastate Non-resold PLT DS3 will be rejected and the request will need to be submitted through the ASR process. Interstate PLT DS3 or Intrastate PLT DS3 that is not eligible for resale must be submitted through Access Service Ordering Guidelines (ASOG) via ASR.
To place a service request through ASOG use the following forms:
- Access Service Request
- Transport Request
- Service Address Location Information Form
CenturyLink specific forms and field entry requirements are identified in the ASOG.
Provisioning and Installation
General Provisioning and Installation activities can be found in the Provisioning and Installation Overview.
Firm Order Confirmation (FOC) intervals are found in the (SIG).
A jeopardy occurs on an LSR request if a condition exists that threatens timely completion. Jeopardy notification is described in the Provisioning and Installation Overview.
Maintenance and Repair
General maintenance and repair activities are described in the Maintenance and Repair Overview.
On a monthly basis, CenturyLink will provide you with billing information that will provide summary account information as well as end-user sub-account information.
Intrastate Resale DS3 service is billed through Customer Records Information System (CRIS) Summary Bill, Inquiry and Disputes is described in Billing Information - Customer Records and Information System (CRIS).
Interstate PLT DS3 or Intrastate PLT DS3 that is not eligible for Resale is billed through the Integrated Access Billing System (IABS). Additional information is described in Billing Information - Integrated Access Billing System (IABS).
View available CenturyLink courses in the Course Catalog.
CenturyLink contact information is located in Wholesale Customer Contacts.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Resale PLT DS3 is efficient transport for aggregating
resold PLT-DS1s. Can it transport other types of
Yes, some customers want to transport a combination of resold DS1 private lines, resold frame relay services, and resold ISDN PRI from their location to their serving wire center.
2. May I order an Interstate Private Line circuit
through the LSR process?
No. Interstate services or Intrastate service not in a resale arrangement are not eligible for Resale rates. Rates are located in the State specific and the CenturyLink Operating Companies Tariff F.C.C. No. 11. LSR's for Interstate Private Line services, or Intrastate services that are not in a resale arrangement will be rejected and the request will need to be submitted via the ASR process. Resale Intrastate Private Line is the only Private Line service available via an LSR.
Last Update: May 1, 2013ß
NC/NCI is a Trademark of Telcordia Technologies, Inc.