How to transfer your CenturyLink service

If your life has changed and you need to transfer ownership of your CenturyLink account to someone else, you can do that—under certain circumstances.

Confirm you can make changes to the account

If you want to transfer an account, you must be authorized to make changes to it. If you're a spouse, domestic partner or roommate, you are authorized to make changes to an account under certain circumstances:

  1. Your name appears on the bill, and the account is set up as "joint." 
  2. You have been specifically authorized by the account holder to make changes to the account.

Verify the account is eligible to be transferred

To transfer an account, you and the new customer must meet five criteria. They include:

  1. Your account must be current and not have any past due charges or restrictions.
  2. Both you and the new customer must verbally agree to the transfer.  (Written consent isn't required, unless you live in Iowa.)
  3. The new customer must meet our credit policy guidelines.
  4. The new customer must agree to take over your service as is, without changes. If changes need to be made, they can be—after the account has been transferred. 
  5. The new customer must take over your service at your current location. If the service needs to be moved somewhere, it can be—after the account has been transferred.

IMPORTANT: If you are divorcing, separating, are roommates, or just relatives you must contact us to sign a form for these changes on the account.

In some states, both the new and existing customers must also be members of the same household. 

If you and the new customer meet these criteria, you should be able to transfer your account. If either you (or the new customer) don't meet these criteria, you must cancel your account and the new customer needs to submit a "new connect" request.

Understand who can initiate the account transfer

Either you or the new customer can call to initiate the account transfer. However, the sequence of events varies a little based on who calls first.

If you call to initiate the account transfer

We'll contact the new customer. If we can't reach him/her, your account transfer request will be put on hold. If we don't hear from the new customer within 10 days, we'll contact you to say we haven't been able to reach the other person. We'll then schedule when your account will be disconnected.

If the new customer calls to initiate the account transfer

We'll make a note in your account and try to contact you. If we're unable to reach you, we'll put the request on hold. If we don't hear from you within 10 days, we'll cancel the account transfer request. Then, we'll contact the new customer and tell him/her that the account will remain in your name until you contact us and confirm you want it transferred.

Special circumstances that impact account transfers

Having third-party services on your account, going through a divorce, being responsible for managing a deceased person's account and/or participating in an assistance program, all create special circumstances with unique requirements.

DIRECTV and Verizon Wireless

We can help you transfer your CenturyLink service, but when it comes to your DIRECTV and/or Verizon Wireless account(s), you need to work with these companies directly:

Note: If you currently get one bill from us with your CenturyLink, DIRECTV and/or Verizon Wireless charges on it, we will need to discontinue your combined billing before we can transfer your CenturyLink account. Once we do that, you'll start receiving separate bill(s) for your satellite TV and/or wireless service(s).


If you're going through a divorce and need to transfer your account, what happens next depends who's listed on the bill.


  1. If both of you are listed on the bill, there's no need to transfer the account because both of you are already responsible for the bill. If you want to be removed (or have your spouse removed), you both must verbally agree to this change. 
  2. If only one of you is listed on the bill, you must transfer the account. Doing this changes the responsibility of who's paying the bill. Both of you must verbally consent to the change. 

Note: Even if your divorce (or separation) agreement says you (or your spouse) must pay your CenturyLink bill, those types of degrees are not binding on third parties, so whoever's name is on the bill is still responsible for paying it.


If you need to transfer an account due to the death of the current customer and are listed on the account as an "authorized party," you can make changes to the account, including transferring it to someone else. If you're not authorized to make changes to the account, we will need to confirm that you're authorized to make changes on behalf of the deceased individual.

To verify your identity, you will need to provide one (or more) of the following:

  1. A court order confirming you're a personal representative or executor of the deceased estate
  2. A published obituary listing you as a relative of the deceased
  3. The deceased customer's 3-digit customer code, found on his/her CenturyLink bill
  4. The last 4 digits of the social security number of the deceased customer listed on the account

Assistance programs

If you participate in the Telephone Assistance Plan (TAP)  and want to transfer your account, the assistance program(s) will be removed from the account before it's transferred. The new account holder will need to re-apply and qualify for the discount before it can be added back on to the account. This applies even in the case of a deceased spouse.

If you have questions, or would like to set up an account transfer, chat with us. We're here to help!