Do you remember life before email? It might have been a simpler time, but these days, it's just plain difficult to get anything done without email -- particularly when you can't send or receive messages.
On the upside, sometimes these kinds of troubles are easy to remedy. Start with these suggestions:
- Verify your Internet connection is working. If it's not working, there are 4 things you can do to fix it.
- Make sure you're using the correct email server settings. Read "How to set up your email to go through POP3 and SMTP" for how-to information.
- Confirm your password is working. You can do this by quickly signing into your CenturyLink email account. Remember, passwords are case sensitive. If your password isn't working, reset it.
- Confirm you don't have a security conflict caused by your firewall and/or antivirus software. To see if this is the problem, temporarily disable your security software, but remember to turn it back on when you're done testing. Try sending/receiving your email. If you are able to send/receive now, then you need to adjust/update your security software.
Tips for disabling antivirus software
If you're using Norton:
- Right click on the Norton icon in your system tray (lower right hand corner of the screen)
- Select Disable and then choose Duration.
- Click OK.
If you're using other antivirus software:
- Search for "how to temporarily disable antivirus" on the web. Look for instructions that are trusted, reliable and applicable to the software that's installed on your machine.
- And/or, contact the company that provides your antivirus protection.
Double check that your email box isn't full.
If it is, you won't be able to send (or receive) emails until you make room.
Check the size limit of your mailbox
- Sign in to your email account.
- Look for at status indicator you have reached the size limitation.
centuryLink.net, elpasotel.net, embarqmail.com or q.com
Email size limit: 20MB
Send To limit: 100 contacts
Webmail send limit: 100 per hour
SMTP send limit: 500 per hour
IP based email send limit: 50 per 5 minutes
Email box size: 15MB
Email size limit: 10MB
Send To limit: 50 contacts
Send limit: 100 per hour
For the size limits of other CenturyLink-supported email domains, go to "How to set up your email to go through POP3 and SMTP" and click on the appropriate email address.
If you have reached your email box limit, delete messages to free up space for more email.
Did You Know?
- Be sure to houseclean thoroughly. Messages in your Sent, Drafts, Deleted/Trash and Outgoing folders all count against your size limit.
- Sometimes it's not the quantity of messages but the size. Messages with large attachments -- particularly ones containing images and/or video -- can rapidly consume your mailbox's storage capacity.