Unclaimed Funds

CenturyLink recently reached out to vendors and customers to whom it has issued checks that have not been cashed. This outreach includes sending a letter to the payee's last known address, usually the address where the original payment was sent.
To claim these funds, please complete the information requested on the letter that you received, make a copy to keep for your records, and mail the original to the address listed on the letter. The form must be completed and returned within the timeframe stated on the letter. This deadline is based on state reporting requirements and therefore we urge you to comply within this timeframe. Unfortunately, we cannot process late or incomplete claims. If we do not receive a timely completed claim from you, your funds will be escheated and you will no longer be able to obtain these funds from CenturyLink. To claim escheated money, you will need to submit a claim with the state that received the funds.

What is an unclaimed fund or property?

In this case, unclaimed property means checks that are not cashed for a certain number of years. The process of sending the property to the state when these checks are not cashed is called 'escheatment’.

Why are these notification sent?

State laws generally require that before we send unclaimed funds to the state, we first attempt to locate and notify the payee of the check to provide the payee the opportunity to establish rightful ownership to the funds.

Why is a written response required?

To prevent the check from being escheated (remitted to the state). The owner must complete the requested information and attach the required documentation. Telephone inquiries will not be accepted. To ensure that this property is not remitted to the state, responses must be received in writing at the address and within the stated timeframe listed on the letter.

Never received the original check(s)?

It is possible that the original check was not cashed because it was lost in the mail, it had an incorrect address, or it was otherwise misplaced. This notification is CenturyLink’s final attempt to locate the owner and deliver these funds before the funds are delivered to the state.

Still have the stale dated check?

You should still fill out the form - selecting the option to reissue the check and circle "the check is enclosed." Return the completed form along with the outstanding check to the PO Box provided on the form.

What happens if I choose not to send the form back in?

The money will be remitted to the State, as required by law. You will then be responsible for claiming your Unclaimed Property from the state and will not be able to claim the money from CenturyLink.

What is this check in regard to?

Due to the age of the original check, and business or system mergers, specific detailed information relating to the nature of the check is not readily available. A majority of unclaimed checks have been issued on systems that have now been retired, and obtaining detailed information is not possible. We regret any inconvenience this may cause in assisting you with additional payment information.

How long will it take to receive my new check?

Approximately 4 to 6 weeks. Due to the large volume of letters it may take up to 8 weeks to process your request.

Want to transfer this refund to a current account?

No problem! Just complete the form and mark the option "credit current account" and provide your current account number or telephone number. It'll be credited to your account in approximately 1 to 2 weeks.

Has your name changed?

If your name has changed, please send evidence documenting the name change. Examples include, but are not limited to: copies of Drivers license, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree, or Adoption record. Please note for Payroll checks we can only reissue in the original name. Documentation cannot be returned, so send copies; do not send original documents.

The form has the correct address, but the name isn't you or your business?

Please return the form to us. We will investigate the account and get the form sent to the correct customer at the correct address.

Is the payee is a business?

Please provide your name and title when responding on behalf of your provider or business. If you are requesting an address change, please provide documentation, such as letterhead or a business card attached to this completed form. If you are requesting a business name change please provide a W-9 form. Documentation cannot be returned.

Has your business closed, and you need the check reissued in your name?

You must provide legal documentation proving you were the owner of the company and are entitled to the funds.

What's a FEIN#?

The FEIN# is only to be filled out if you are a business. It represents a Federal Tax ID # issued to all businesses.

The payee has since deceased?

You'll need to complete the form you received in the mail, returning it to us with legal documentation in order for CenturyLink to be able to reissue the check to the legal rightful owner. Such as:  decedents will or probate papers executed by the court and a copy of the death certificate. You will need to prove you are the Executor or POA or the legal heir to the deceased property. CenturyLink cannot legally change the name on a check without legal documentation.

  • If you send a Death Certificate only, the reissued check will be made payable to "Estate of."
  • With any legal documentation showing the claimer is the appropriate heir, we can change the name.

If you have no legal documentation (No Will, No Estate, No Probate). You will need to:

  1. Contact an attorney to provide legal documents proving the claimer is the appropriate heir.
  2. Contact the probate court or similar local court that handles estate matters to provide legal documents proving the claimer is the appropriate heir.
  3. Claimer can wait until the funds are submitted to the state and then request a claim form from the state to try and claim the money.

The payee is an ex-spouse or ex-roommate, who no longer lives at this address.

CenturyLink cannot legally change the name on a check without legal documentation proving you are the rightful owner to the funds. Please see the section above if the spouse is deceased.

To ensure that CenturyLink has received the written request...

The best way to ensure CenturyLink has received your written request is to send it via certified mail to the address in the letter.

Was this article helpful?