How to get phone wiring or jacks repaired

If you need phone wiring or a jack repaired, learn more about who is responsible, and options for getting repairs done – including the CenturyLink Inside Wire Protection plan.

Who is responsible for what – inside and outside

Generally, equipment inside your home is your responsibility, and equipment outside your home is our responsibility.

If signal isn't getting to your house, then the problem is outside your home. If, however, you have a dial tone on at least one of your jacks — even if it's faint, unclear or intermittent — the problem is most likely inside your home, and your jack(s) and/or inside wiring need to be repaired.

To figure out whether signal is getting to your home, learn how to troubleshoot your phone line.

Indoor Outdoor House Cutaway

Repairs inside the home

If you have a problem with your inside wiring, it's your responsibility to get it repaired, including paying for the repairs. It's not required that you have CenturyLink make the repairs — you can hire any experienced professional, or you can do the work yourself if you know how.

Without a protection plan, we charge at least $95 to isolate the problem (exact fees may vary based on where you live)


If you hire us to do the repair, we waive the isolation fee and only charge you for labor and material costs. Because these fees vary based on what needs to be repaired, we can't give a ballpark figure here. We will provide a written estimate — and a satisfaction guarantee — before beginning work.

Did you know? If you live in an apartment, equipment repair and installation may be included in your rental agreement — which means it probably won't cost you anything. Ask your building manager before you pay for repairs.

Did you find the help you were looking for today?