Firmware is the software programmed into your modem that makes it run. Firmware is updated periodically to add new features and keep modems performing their best. Updates are done automatically through the CenturyLink network, so as a rule you never have to think about it. However, if your modem isn't working properly, you can check to make sure the firmware is fully up to date by logging into the modem settings.
Before you start, keep these tips in mind:
NOTE: Depending on your modem, your settings interface may appear slightly different from the images below.
1. Connect a device, such as a computer or tablet, to the internet through WiFi or using an Ethernet cable connected to your modem.
2. Open a web browser and type http://192.168.0.1 into the web address field.
3. Log in to the modem's settings interface (Modem GUI) using your Admin Username and Admin Password. Note that these are different from your wireless network name (SSID) and WiFi password (security key).
4. Select the Utilities icon in the main menu.
5. Select "Upgrade Firmware" in the left sidebar.
6. Check the "Upgrade Status" area.
7. To update the firmware, first you'll download the file to your computer. Select "Download" on the Upgrade Firmware screen.
8. Follow your browser's prompts to save the file using "Save as."
9. Select "Desktop" (or choose another folder if you prefer), then click "Save." The downloaded firmware file is now saved on your computer.
10. Next, you'll install the firmware file you saved in the previous step by browsing to it. Select "Browse" on the Upgrade Firmware screen.
11. Find the folder on your computer where you saved the file in step 9. Select the firmware file, then click "Open."
12. Select "Upgrade Firmware" to start the update.
13. The screen will show you the progress of the upgrade installation. This step will take about 2 minutes.
14. Next, you'll see a screen telling you that the modem is rebooting. This step will take about 3 minutes. As the modem reboots, you will briefly lose your internet connection, including WiFi.
15. Once the upgrade is complete, you will be taken back to the main Modem GUI Login screen. Wait 2-5 minutes for the DSL and internet lights on the modem to turn green before trying to browse to a webpage to test that your connection is good.
If the internet light doesn't turn green, check our modem lights guide for troubleshooting help.
If you need further assistance, contact our technical support team. We're here to help.
Was this page helpful?