Before following the steps below, please read our full self-install instructions, including modem placement and whether filters are needed. Make sure your computer is connected to the modem with an Ethernet cable, and that the modem is plugged in and connected to the wall jack.
After plugging it in, wait 15 minutes for the modem to install updated software. Then, open any browser on your computer and go to http://connect.centurylink.com (not "https").
Note: You can also set up your modem using the My CenturyLink mobile app, in the Install my New Modem section. This is the easiest option for many people because you can use mobile data.
2. In most cases, your identity will be verified automatically. If the system can't do this, you will be asked for additional information.
5. You will be given the option to turn on the modem's wireless router, so that you can connect multiple devices to your own WiFi network. Most customers will want to do this. Select "Yes, activate wireless" (or "No" if you don't want WiFi turned on; you can change this later in your modem settings if you choose.) Click "Next."
6. You will be shown the default wireless settings for your modem/router. They will look similar to the sample shown below. You can choose to keep the default network name (SSID) and password (security key), or to customize them. For security, we recommend changing these to something that will be easy for you to remember, but impossible for others to guess.
8. Next, you can choose which kinds of notifications you wish to receive from CenturyLink by email and/or by text message. You can opt in or opt out of alerts regarding order status, billing, repair and promotions.
You can then enter the email address and/or mobile phone number you'd like these communications to be sent to. For your convenience, these can be different from the contact information associated with your account.
10. The basic installation is now complete, and you can surf the web. You can exit the installation process now, or continue on to some additional services. This will not impact your internet service. Choose "Yes" or "No," then click "Continue."
At this point, you can also check your modem's status lights to confirm that the installation is complete.
13. You will now be asked if you want to download the free antivirus software that comes with your CenturyLink High-Speed Internet service. If you don't already have a good antivirus and anti-malware program running on your computer, this is an important step. Click "Yes" to download, then follow the separate steps in the installer to install the software.
Note: You may see "Norton" on your QuickConnect screen, but CenturyLink recently partnered with McAfee to provide you with free internet security protection. Learn more about McAfee and download it here. You do not have to download antivirus software to complete the setup process; you can opt out, or do it anytime after you've activated your service.
15. Finally, you will be invited to go to My CenturyLink online create a username and password for your My CenturyLink account. This login will allow you to manage your account online in the future through either the app or website. Choose "Yes" or "No," then click "Continue."
If you select "Yes," you will be shown the registration URL and reminded of your account number and billing zip code. You will need both of these to create your account. You can now click "Done" to complete the QuickConnect installation process.
While completing the installation process, the lights on the front and/or back of your modem will tell you its connection status. Click on the correct section below for your model of modem to view a guide to the status lights.